Newest Book ...

Sunday, August 15, 2021

Writing Colonies XXXVII: Wrapping up Tauron, PICKUPS & RESHOOTS

 In case you missed it last week, I've finished the first draft of Colonies of Kobol.

(Hold for applause.)

What I didn't do in that post was my typical wrap-up for the book I had finished, so let me do it now.


Tauron is, like several others, a two-parter.  The first takes place as the beleaguered people manage kick the Leonis and Virgon Empires off their planet (for a time).  The second is all about the Tauran Civil War, the conflict that gave birth to the Ha'la'tha, and ends with refugees going to Caprica.

Here's the map I made of Tauron, germane primarily to the first part:

Click to embiggen

For those keeping track (me), Book Twelve is 116 pages long, which means Volume Three is 969 pages.  That, plus Volume One's 429 pages and Volume Two's 721 pages means the first draft of Colonies of Kobol is 2,119 pages long.  (Lords of Kobol was 1,095 pages total.)

In the next phase, it's going to get longer.  Here's the graphic; I'll explain after:


In the movie biz, "pickups and reshoots" are things they film after principal photography is complete.  Pickups are scenes that they plan on filming later to supplement the story (sometimes the decision to film a pickup comes while they're doing principal photography, e.g.: "Oh, it'd help if we had a scene where this character says this thing"); reshoots are do-overs of scenes that didn't go right the first time. 

I've kept a list for the last several months of things I want/need to do, and that list is now the graphic above.  The red asterisks indicate books where I intend to do some of these pickups and reshoots before I dig into the editing process.  For example, in the case of Gemenon, it's more of a reshoot (rewriting) of a key scene; in Leonis, it's a pickup because I need to add a scene to make later stuff make sense; Aerilon and Aquaria just need a few lines of dialogue added; and so on.

I'm not going to update this graphic with a single green asterisk each time I finish one of these pickups/reshoots.  In a couple of weeks (hopefully), I'll just post one with all green asterisks and then discuss my editing process.

That's what's up.  Don't know how long this will take, nor do I know how long the editing/reading/re-writing process will take.  As soon as I can pencil in a date on the calendar for a possible release, you'll be the first to know.

Thanks for reading, as always.

2 comments:

  1. At least it's that much.

    I remember the posts where you were aiming to try to tie it in with various anniversaries of the shows.

    If I kick the bucket before I get to read this story I'm going to haunt you LoL....
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're a ghost, you can read, right? I'd be happy to share it with your specter.

      Delete