Newest Book ...

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Writing, Part I

Summer of 2009.  In the weeks after the series finale of Battlestar Galactica, I found myself thinking about it frequently.  I'm sure many fans did the same thing.

If I was driving, if I was in the shower, if I'm daydreaming, whatever.  I thought about the show quite a bit.  Unlike many fans, I felt very satisfied by the ending and the various resolutions.  Many questions were left unanswered but I wasn't expecting them to be tied up with a pretty bow for me.  Even Starbuck** and what she was.  Didn't bother me.

Because of my love for mythology, I was often drawn to the stuff left rather untouched since the first episodes of season two: Kobol.  I thought about the Lords of Kobol pretty much all the time in those spare moments in August.  I pondered scenario after scenario detailing who or what the Lords could be, why certain people did certain things, why a certain tribe left, and so on.  Over time, I had half a story bouncing around in my head.  Eventually, I came to the realization that I might be able to write a book about it.

Now, I had written things before.  Nothing I felt confident enough about to send off to publishers, but still ... I had written whole books before.  But to do a BSG novel?  It seemed daunting.

September came and the wife and I were at Dragon*Con in Atlanta.  She brought along her crappy little HP Netbook and I created a Wordpad file.  In it, I sketched out the tidbits about the Lords that I knew needed to be covered and drew up a crude timeline.  By the end of the weekend, I had a plan.

Next time, I'll go over some of the (non-spoilery) details of those initial files and maybe some of the info about Kobol we know from the show.

** - Starbuck was Jesus.  Died, resurrected and then ascended.  That sound was your mind blowing.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! So the questions I had asked in my posting in your Facebook Kobol page are now answered. lol I once felt a certain inspiration to write a Star Trek: Next Generation script, but I did not get further than a rough outline in my head. Glad that you decided to write about your ideas and the questions you wanted answered, because I want to know more about Kobol and what happened there to cause the Tribes to leave their home.

    DragonCon is so great! I went twice, and I glad that I did, really enjoyed it.

    Looking forward to reading more of this blog.

    ReplyDelete