Newest Book ...

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Writing, Again: Part VIII - Setting the Scene

As I settle down for the reading/editing process, I thought maybe one or two of you might be intrigued to see where the "magic" happens (click to enlarge):


  1. Map of the Twelve Colonies of Kobol.  A portent of things to come.
  2. Snacks.  Dark chocolate M&Ms (brain food!) and water with a squirt of lemon juice.
  3. Reference books.  Classical Myth and Wheelock's Latin.
  4. Nook.  Loaded with the previous four Lords of Kobol books for quick reference.
  5. Notepad.  Loaded with ideas more than a couple of years old.
  6. Map in progress.  Basically a blank map of Larsa; I scribble in city and country names as I write.
  7. Post-Its.  The ones on the left are ideas that occur to me throughout the day and I slap them there so I can remember to incorporate them later.  The four or five on the right are lists of names, mostly.  All of the Olympians, Titans, in what order did Cronus eat Zeus' siblings ...
  8. I don't know what to call these.  They're things I mess with as I type or think.  There's a pasteboard cylinder with a lid that opens and closes.  The air resistance is nice.  A pair of Lego plates that I connect and disconnect in one hand.  One of them developed a crack a few weeks ago.  On the day I finished Book Five, it finally broke.  I don't know what that means.  I used to have an old glowstick that I gnawed on like a cigar but my wife took it away from me.
  9. Universal remote.  I use it to control my Blu-ray player which is always playing Bear McCreary's thirteen hours of Galactica-related music.
  10. More notes.  That drawer is filled with notepads and scraps of paper on which I jotted ideas.
Ta-da.

Enough stalling.  Back to work for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment